Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Holiday Gift Guide


Now that the Christmas shopping rush is officially heading into full swing, here’s my take on the
beauty scene, and the best buys for this season. I have organized each section, by price, with the 
help of BeautySets, (polyvore for makeup). When I give gifts involving beauty products, unless it's 
something very specific off a wish list, I try to go for as much visual impact as I can. Cosmetics are
so small, it can wind up looking like a lame gift, even if it was pricey.   
I tend to go for gift sets and baskets, and I often make my own.
Here's some help to get you started this holiday season.

Beautysets - Stocking Stuffers




In clockwise order, we've got
  • Sephora Nail Art Set ($10) - perfect for someone who's packed their pinterest boards with nail 
    art inspiration.
  •  Bath and Body Works Pocket Bacs ($1.50, often on sale for $1) - the ultimate stocking stuffer 
    in my opinion, they're inexpensive, cute, practical, and easy to stock up on.
Beautysets - Secret Santa
  • Sephora Collection Gloss Lab ($25) - A $100 value of lipgloss! Any girly girl would love this,
  •  because we're all genetically hardwired to need 80,000 different colors of lip gloss. 
  • Too Faced Suddenly Sexy Set ($25) - a great set with a little of everything. I would love this for
  •  a teen, who is just starting to get into makeup.
  • SEPHORA + PANTONE UNIVERSE® Opulent Lacquer Trio ($18) - a great little nail polish set for a reasonable price. They have sets of silver, red, gold and black, but obviously I'm partial to the
    silver, a perfect winter nail color, and a staple for New Years Eve.
  • philosophy Sweet Rendezvous Set ($25) - a lovely set of three unique and yummy body washes      from philosophy. Pistachio Cherry Macaroon, Creme Brulee, and Black Currant Tart, oh my!
  • 21 Drops Pick up Fix Set ($14.50) - a unique gift, a set of four aromatherapy oils, Uplift, Calm,     Sleep and Willpower, all made to be purse and travel friendly. These are apparently not perfumes,        but oils you can apply that are designed to aid the purpose after which they're named.

  •  Laura Mercier Artist Palette for Eyes ($48) - a beautiful alternative to the Naked palettes, wearable colors, BUT as it's got half mattes (!) and half shimmers, even more appropriate for someone a bit more mature.
  • Sephora by OPI Tinseltown Colletor's Set ($49.50) -a big nail polish set with 16 minis and 1 full size glitter top coat. While I always lament the size of the Sephora by OPI mini bottles, how many of us EVER finish a nail polish? If you have, I'm pretty sure you're a unicorn.
  • Tarte Five Piece Lipsurgence Set Collector's Set ($34) - Tarte friggin BROUGHT IT this holiday season with their value/gift sets. It was really hard work to not have this whole post be just entirely Tarte products.
  • Dior New Look Set ($28.50) - this upscale, but reasonably priced set comes with the 5 eyeshadow palette in Royal Khaki, and Dior New Look mascara. This is best for someone with whom the Dior brand name will resonate, because it's not as big and bad as the other sets.
  • bareMinerals The Star Treatment ($40) - I love bareMinerals pressed eyeshadow palettes, and I think these colors are a great contrast to the Laura Mercier palette, because this has more warm tones, but is still a departure from the Naked overload I'm personally experiencing (although I own and love both palettes-there are other ones out there!!)
Beautysets - Special Splurges


  • Sephora Collector's Edition Fragrance Sampler For Her ($75) - I've raved about this before, and     this is the only fragrance set I would purchase for someone unless it was from a wish list.         Perfume is so personal and you never know someone's taste! The only person I think I've ever bought perfume that wasn't a replacement of their favorite or from a wish list is for my mom,         and I've known her for just a little while, so I know what she likes. I love this set because it has           10 bestselling fragrances in large sample sizes, with a gift certificate to receive a full size of your favorite fragrance from the set. To me, this set is IDEAL for gift giving.
  • Make Up For Ever All Eyes on You Set ($59) - another great all in one, with an Aqua Cream,         some Aqua Eyes liners, a Smoky Lash mascara and of course, a pot of HD powder.
  • Sephora Embossed Train Case in Black Houndstooth ($55 for mini, $110 for full size) - Can you          tell I dig houndstooth? Sephora train cases are fabulous, sturdy and well built, and this          embossed pattern just makes me drool all over my keyboard. Storage solutions are always           better when they're FRIGGIN ADORABLE.
  • Sephora Collector's Edition Premium I.T. Brush Set ($68) - Another great value, with all the               individual brushes running you $220. The I.T. brushes are stellar, and if you know someone                 who is beauty obsessed, you cannot go wrong with this brush set.
  •  Tarte Carried Away Collector's Set ($54) - One of the most comprehensive sets I've ever seen,           with a blush, face powder, large brush, 24 eyeshadows, 8 glosses, a mascara, and an exotically patterned case that holds everything, what more could you ask for? I purchased this for a good friend of mine and she is still raving about it! $54 is not cheap, but for all you get in this set,               I think it's VERY well worth it.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and happy shopping! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I coulԁ hаve sωorn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's
    new to me. Nonethelesѕ, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be booκmаrking and checking back frequently!


    Hеre is my weblog; Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete